Sometimes you find a file in your Downloads folder and you want to know where you downloaded it from. So you search through your Safari history, but apparently the download is too far back in time. Next thing, you try googling the filename, but that doesn’t turn up anything either. As a last resort, you then rack your brain to try and remember where you downloaded that file from. Of course, this last effort is as futile as the first two. But all is not lost!
How to Find Where a Download Came From
If you were smart enough to download the file with Safari, you’re in luck: Safari adds the download URL of every file it downloads to the file’s Spotlight comments. Simply right-click the file in Finder, select Get Info, and there in the Spotlight comments is the original URL from where the file was downloaded.
This only works for files downloaded with Safari, though. If you’re using Firefox, Flock or any other Mac browser, you’ll have to resort to racking your brain, I’m afraid.
You can rapidly discover where any record was downloaded from by utilizing the Mac Finder ‘Get Info’ summon. This will actually give you the correct download URL of the document itself, and if that URL was connected to from elsewhere, it will reveal to you that URL too.
- Select the document being referred to inside the Finder of the Mac OS X
- Presently go to Get Info on the document (File menu, pick “Get Info” or hit Command+i)
- From the Get Info window, tap on ‘More Info’ to see where you downloaded the document under “Where from:”
- For instance, here’s a dmg record downloaded from Apple.com, and the correct URL of where it was downloaded is appeared:
- Discover a downloaded records birthplace area in Mac OS X
You can really duplicate that URL to re-download the record on the off chance that you need, or to send another person a direct download connection of precisely the same.
Changing Browser Download Settings
The subsequent stage in making your work process more proficient is advising your program to give you the choice to indicate where you need to spare your records as opposed to placing EVERYTHING into your downloads envelope.
- With Google Chrome open, click Chrome and select Preferences.
- Snap Show propelled settings.
- In the Downloads area, check the container marked Ask where to spare each record before downloading
- That is it! Presently when you download a document utilizing Google Chrome, you’ll be given the alternative to indicate where you need to spare it! Keep in mind that new organizer we made? That is the place you’ll put it!
- With Firefox open, click Firefox and select Preferences…
- Snap Always request that me where spare records
- That is it! Presently when you download a record utilizing Firefox, make certain that you select Save File and not Open With, you’ll be given the choice to determine where you need to spare it! Keep in mind that new organizer we made? That is the place you’ll put it! :
Safari does not enable clients to determine where to download records with each download example. You can keep utilizing Safari and physically move the records from your Downloads organizer into your SVG envelope on the off chance that you’d like, yet we exceptionally prescribe Google Chrome to accelerate your work process!